The kitchen is the heart of every home and we don’t want to skip a beat. Our kitchen provides a space where families not only find nourishment but a space where they find they are not alone.
After spending hours upon hours in the hospital with an ill child, one may lack the energy and resources to take care of themselves. This is where incredible volunteers, like you, can make a huge difference by providing a family style meal.
As a Family Meal Volunteer, you will have the flexibility to volunteer as little or often as possible. This is a great project for individuals that cannot commit for long periods of time but appreciate the value of sharing a moment.
- We ask for no more than six people in your group as the kitchen can get crowded.
- Dinners are seven days a week, and are served at 7 p.m. Groups should plan to arrive by 6:00pm. Depending on your menu, you may want to arrange with our office for an earlier arrival. (Our strongest need is for weekday meals).
- Breakfasts are now also served seven days a week. Breakfast is served at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Friday , you can arrive at the House anytime after 8:30am. On Saturdays and Sundays you can arrive as early as 8:00am.
- On the calendar, if a date has “breakfast group” or “dinner group” written on it, that means that the time slot for that date has already been filled. Please choose a day that does not already have the meal of your choice filled in.
- Ronald McDonald House provides all kitchen cookware, utensils and beverages. You will need to provide ingredients for your meal. (Basics provided: seasonings, flour, oils, etc.) If possible, please email us a copy of the menu in advance so we can let the families know what delicious meal will be prepared.
- Meals should serve 15-20, and include a vegetarian component. Your group is encouraged to join the families for the meal. Not all families are at the House for the 7 p.m. dinnertime as they often stay at the hospital until late evening, but the leftovers are very much appreciated by late returns!
- Please clean-up following your dinner (load dishwasher, wipe tables, etc.).
If you would like to prepare a meal for our families, please fill out our Group Volunteer Application.